News : Colleen Hoover Responds to Blake Lively's 'It Ends With Us' Costume Controversy: 'I'm Unconcerned'

Colleen Hoover Responds to Blake Lively's 'It Ends With Us' Costume Controversy: 'I'm Unconcerned’


Blake Lively Faces Criticism for Wardrobe Choices in 'It Ends With Us' Film Adaptation

Blake Lively, known for her role as Lily Bloom in the upcoming film adaptation of "It Ends With Us," has received backlash from dedicated book fans due to her character's outfits.

The 35-year-old actress, along with co-stars Justin Baldoni, Jenny Slate, and Hasan Minhaj, began filming last month in New Jersey. However, Lively's wardrobe choices on set quickly garnered attention. She was seen wearing baggy sweaters, cargo pants with visible boxers, and camouflage prints, which sparked disappointment among fans who believed Lily should have a more fashionable look.

In May, one social media user tweeted, "How do you make Blake Lively, known Hot Person, look FRUMPY. Like I know NOTHING about It Ends With Us, but I saw these pics and thought her character was a quirky single mom who's not supposed to be cute. LIKE WHAT IS THAT OUTFIT AND PARTY CITY WIG."

Another fan added, "Colleen Hoover books aren't great BUT I was excited for It Ends With Us the movie UNTIL the cast was released, and I saw the OUTFITS they're putting Blake Lively in??? Like, why?"

Author Colleen Hoover, 43, addressed the wardrobe controversy during an interview with Jenna Bush Hager on June 23, expressing her appreciation for the vocal conversation it sparked among fans. She emphasized that she wasn't concerned about the outfits, as her focus is on the story and the conversations the characters have.

"I don't remember describing outfits at all. I don't care what they have on," Hoover stated during her annual Book Bonanza festival. "In my head, it's about the conversation they're having and the story. It's the same way in the movie. You've seen a couple of outfits that are completely out of context. I'm not worried about it."

"It Ends With Us," Hoover's popular novel published in 2016, revolves around Lily Bloom, a recent college graduate, and her complex relationships with neurosurgeon Ryle Kincaid (portrayed by Justin Baldoni) and her first love, Atlas Corrigan (played by Brandon Sklenar). However, the ages of the characters, particularly Lily, who is meant to be 23 at the start of the book, have also received criticism from devoted fans.

"When I wrote It Ends With Us, the new adult genre was very popular. You were writing college-age characters. That's what I was contracted to do. I made Lily very young," Hoover explained. "I didn't know that neurosurgeons went to school for 50 years. There's not a 20-something neurosurgeon. As I started making this movie, I'm like, 'We need to age them out because I messed up.' So that's my fault."

Production for "It Ends With Us" was temporarily halted earlier this month due to the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike. The resumption of filming remains unknown at this time.

0 Comments